Thursday, January 15, 2004

Hey everybody! Today I'm am going to do something so out of left field, you might just think you're reading somebody else's blog! Buckle the fuck up!

I'm going to talk about something that happened in my life! I know, I know. You have come to expect stupid and uninformed comments on the world at large here, but I haven't let you peek into my life in quite a while. Believe me, it isn't that interesting.

January 9th of last year, I bought a new PC. Not just any PC, but a real monster. It had EVERYTHING! Tons of memory, a kickass video card, the case even glowed blue! Pretty sweet, you know, if you like things that glow blue. But, alas, it did not last. The night before last, as I was chillin' with Mikey from Insolence, it suddenly hung. This has never happened to it before, so I was a little worried. I quickly pushed the "reset" button, thus starting an endless loop of reboots that could only be stopped by unplugging the poor thing. Well, I was crushed. I am unemployed, and don't really have the money to fix the damn thing. So, I called the computer store where I bought it and told them the story. The Repairs Manager told me that since it was so close to the warranty running out(I had a one year warranty, if you couldn't figure that out), they would honor it anyway if, IF, the problem was with the system itself, and not something I had done.

Seems pretty cool, eh? Well, when I brought it into the store, the manager I talked to was nowhere to be found. I told the repair trolls what had happened and what the manager said, and all I got was noncommittal grunts. I didn't expect anything more from trolls. Then, when I handed the case over, the lead troll looks at it and says, "Well, it's pretty dusty, isn't it?". As if dust had made it seize up. I have been around computers all my life, both dusty and clean. I have seen computers with actual mice living in them. I shit you not! And never have I seen a computer die because of it. They are built sturdier than that. Also, the way he said it made it sound like my aversion to dusting was some sort of warranty breaker. I call shenanigans!

I left the computer there anyway. What could I do? Just bring a $2000 computer home and let is sit there because some shitheel at the store has better maintenance habits than me? I figure when I go and get it, if they tell me that I owe $200 for repairs, I will cause a huge scene. Then they HAVE to give it to me, or deal with the very real possibility of me striking outside of their store for the next month. Like I said, I am unemployed. My days are free. But this is not the end of the story.

Wondering how I am typing this right now? Well, My old computer, which I thought I had cannibalized for parts last year, has been sitting in my livingroom as a TV stand all this while. I opened the case and found out that all the parts were still in it. So, I hooked her up, and guess what? Yep, she works like a charm! Just when I was going to go to Big 5 and get me shotgun for a little Hemingway signoff, I get this old dinosaur up and running. Now, I wouldn't really kill myself because I had no computer, but I might just kill someone else. If I can't play Counterstrike on computer, I will play it in the streets. So let's just be glad that it didn't come to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home