Monday, April 21, 2003

I went to see The Faction and The Shitkickers on Saturday night, and let me tell you it was great. Billy's band, Drunken Starfighter, was supposed to play at Waves that same night, but when we arrived there, the bouncer told us the show was moved to Monday night. It turns out he was a goddamn liar, Billy did indeed play that night, but I missed it. Let's get a little more in-depth.

I had purchased my tickets for the Faction show a couple of days early because they always sell out. It was a good move, because the second I picked upi my tickets, the club announced that the show was sold out. The club was packed by the time The Shitkickers came on, and they played some fine music. Whenever I see this band I have to laugh at not only the cry-in-your-beer country music they play, but also hooting and hollering from the audience. It was a lively set played well by some very good musicians. It makes me want to take up the mandolin when I see these guys play. All in all, it was some good shitkickin' music, my Mom would have loved it.

Next up was The Faction. I have yet to see these guys put on a sub-par show since they got back together. They went through their sizable catalog with gusto, never missing a beat or riff. The one thing I would have to complain about was the fact that the club had become a sauna by the time these guys were halfway through their set, and I had to go outside to cool off. It was strange to stand outside the Blank club with a show in full swing and be the only person outside, but The Faction has that sort of drawing power. Seriously, you could book me making fart noises in the crook of my arm opening for The Faction or The Shitkickers, and the house would be packed as I did my rendition of "I Think We're Alone Now", faux-flatuence style.

On Sunday, I helped Tommy with yard work. It sucked, but you should see their yard now. It's magnificent!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home