Sunday, April 06, 2003

Happy First Anniversary!

I can't believe that it has only been one year since I started this blog, but judging from the date on the first entry, it has been. We've been through some thrills and spills together, and we have grown closer as a result. This year has seen me going through the pain of withdrawal from cigarettes, losing my job and the getting a new one, and possibly fifty or sixty Cliftons shows. I have learned some important things about myself and this blog while reviewing the posts contained herein:

1. I'm not as funny as I think I am. While some of these entries seem like comedic gold while I write them, they don't always hold up to scrutiny in the hard light of day. Some are stilted, some are meandering, some are puerile. Don't get me wrong, there are some clever jokes scattered here and there, and I manage to sound like I know what I'm talking about in most of the posts. However, I really need to work on having a solid idea on what I'm going to write about before I start writing.

2. I use current events far too often as a way of providing content for my posts. This was much worse when I was laid off and posted three to four times per day. I started out thinking that this blog was going to be exactly what it was meant to be: a online journal. But I soon realized that my life was not really interesting enough to keep a journal these days. I would have never had any readers at all if I simply reported in every day, letting all of you know what I watched the night before or what I had eaten for lunch. So I decided that since I have an opinion for just about everything, it would be better if I made a type of editorial column where I could bitch and whine about everything going on in the world. Now I want to break away from that sort of format, but I am onece again faced with the dilemma of never posting, because I am not as exciting as I used to be, and reporting on current events for the rest of my life. At least the latter could conceivably be an employable career. If Herb Caen did it, so could I.

3. Keeping readers is a pain in the ass. You have to provide fresh content continuously, and if you don't have anything to write about, tough shit, write something anyway. This is the reason some of my posts are so bland I usually apologize for them at the end. Fortunatelymy posts are only around 1000 words or so, so it is impossible to get writer's block in such a short time. But publishing complete crap wears on my soul. I want to entertain, not bore, my readers. If you all were less picky, I could write whatever the fuck I wanted to, but I get bitched at for poor quality. I don't want to lose readers, so I worry constantly about whether anybody will even read my blog in a few weeks. This doesn't do my ulcer any good.

If you have read this blog and enjoyed it, thank you. I'm glad that I could entertain you, since that was my goal. If you haven't enjoyed it, oh well. I'm sure people who haven't enjoyed this blog aren't still reading it. So blow me.

There are some really big changes coming to the blog soon. I have secrued some web space, so I may soon be posting images on the site. I will also be moving the site, so there will be an address change. I will let you all know when it happens. I wanted to make this post the first one on the new server, but I ended up going out this weekend. This is the price you pay for having a social life.

Anyway, wish me a happy anniversary! My contact info is at the top. I like congratulatory emails, but will accept flowers as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home