Tuesday, February 04, 2003

Drugs make you do some pretty stupid things. They might get you, say, thrown out of a local club before the headliner even goes on stage. Or, they might get you arrested by the authorities because you were running around on private property one night, screaming, naked, and swinging a flashlight over your head while making lightsaber noises. Not that I would know about these things.

But, let's say for the sake of argument, that I had some port of experience in these matters. The first thing I would tell n00bs is, "Everything In Moderation". It is really easy to put yourself in a hospital, or a graveyard, by going to extremes with either variety or quantity. A perfect example of this was Brandon Vedas' last one-man performance of I Do This Every Weekend. I was pretty steamed by the sheer number of different depressants this guy swallowed at once. He took "large doses of Klonopin, Methadone, Restoril and Inderal, along with marijuana and 151-proof rum." This was all within a couple of hours. Whoa there, Chong! Try to enjoy it a little!

Why do people do this? Is there something so wrong in our society that we have produced a new generation comprised solely of village idiots? If it isn't "Jackass", it's something even worse. When I was younger, I resisted the idea that TV was making us all stupid. I didn't want to believe that society was truly self-destructing, and we were going to witness it all. Now, it seems so close that I feel like selling my computer for a "how-to" suvivalist guide and land in Montana.

What other future can there be, when the computer geeks become stupider than the druggies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home