Thursday, January 23, 2003

Well, it has certainly been a while! Let's get this party started...

I went to Reno a couple of weeks ago to look at what the employment situation was like. I had already heard all these great stories about how beautiful it was out there, how there were jobs up the ol' wazoo, how there were really cheap places to live out there, and how you don't have to pay income tax! So I went. I found out some important things:

1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like yellow, red, and brown, yet loathe green, Reno is for you! The water is so expensive there that most homeowners have to decide whether they want a half-dead lawn, or a totally dead tree. Seems like most just go for the sagebrush. Ergo, there are no trees in Reno. It gives you the impression of a gambling resort on Mars. Not my cup o' joe.
2. There are indeed alot of jobs out there if you want to work in the "gaming industry". I don't work in this field, and seeing that there were absolutely no other jobs in the classifieds, I was somewhat crestfallen. But not really(see #1).
3. Of course it's cheap to live out there! There isn't anything there! If they raised the rents or started charging income tax, everybody would move, and the Paiutes could just take the land back. It actually sounds like a good idea, now that I think about it.
4. Clean air? Where would that be, exactly? They have "Spare The Air" days just like us, but because of wood burning fireplaces. And this wood is imported(see #1). The reason: the temperature varies between 15 deg. and 80 deg. in a single day. In other words, don't put away your winter wardrobe just because it's July. You're gonna need it tonight.

Now, I did have a good time while there. I got some real quality time with the old man, and we needed it. I got a little drunk with the folks, too. But even though the flight out there is only about $39, I don't think I'm going to make that shitsplat of a town my home.

Now you can rest easy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home