Monday, January 27, 2003

I'm really pissed that Oakland lost, but the anger has been cushioned by my sudden windfall of $5 from Karen, who is expecting. There is nothing sweeter than extorting money from the pregnant! Now that I've got that out of the way, let's get to the good stuff...

Once I returned to my house, my neighbors took me to a "Battle Of The Bands" in Campbell. We walked in to the excellent musical stylings of "Timmy". These guys really smoked! They showed a talent rarely witnessed in the San Jose music scene: They could play their instruments competently. I was briefly taken out of the fairly crowded Gaslighter Theatre into another realm where blues bands could co-exist with punk bands in the south bay without mutually destroying each other. I know that sounds like nonsense, I'm drunk. What I'm trying to say here is that Timmy was good. I enjoyed the experience particularly since I was a hippie, and this was hippie-type jam music. At least, that was the impression I got when we arrived. We walked in on an original tune called "Everything Is", and I was immediately hooked. It's not often that I buy a CD from a band I have seen based solely on a couple of songs, but I rushed into the lobby and purchased one even before they had finished thier SRV-laden interpretation of "Voodoo Chile". The audience seemed almost completely filled by Timmyheads, and the pit thinned out appreciatively when they left the stage.

After that was The Feathers, a San Jose favorite. I would love to write a favorable review of this band, but I can't. I love these guys, make no doubt about it, but their lack of enthusiasm while performing was almost palpable. They trudged through their songlist, and when they exited, you didn't really notice. I know I'm going to get alot of nasty e-mails because of these comments, but heel your dogs. I know that The Feathers normally rock, I've seen them, but following an act like Timmy is really hard to do. Still, they received a great response from the audience, and that's what you shoot for in these types of things. Did I mention that The Feathers have a great entourage of cool and cute south bay punk rock chicks? Hotties on stage, hotties in the crowd, how accommodating! After the show, everyone went to the Caravan. Jonny, Stacy (Cakes), and I went to the Weiner Haus and got chili fries. Then I went to sleep.
Rock On!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home